Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cooped Up

Okay, like all the other gardeners out there I'm battling cabin fever. Luckily I've had some opportunities to get out recently. And that's kept me somewhat sane but still grumpy and unfocused. As usual, my rambling weekend thoughts turn to plants and plans for my new garden.

There have been several days lately when the streets were clear enough for my pre-dawn jog and yesterday the snow was melted completely. So I took time to explore a little of the woods around the lake to spy likely spots for finding native spring plants. There was a lot of evidence of deer, but no spring plants sprouting yet. I think I have about 2 more weeks to wait. That is, if the sun would come out to warm the ground.

As I explored the muddy ground there were some encouraging signs of things to come in my own little patch of woods. I saw some bulbs beginning to sprout. Late last fall I planted a few crocus bulbs that I dug up from my old house. Knowing how silly I look with my binoculars searching the ground for signs of their flowers, I planted them very close to the walkway that leads to the new front door in my sunroom. Two have spiky leaves showing already. They need a little more mulch, I think, because in one or two cases, they have been trampled by our builder. I'm hoping the freezing rain and snow falling today will protect them. Neither the builder nor the workers he contracts to help seem to notice what's planted under their feet.

Today the weather is dreadful and luckily I'm forced to stay inside and finalize plans for my new growing space. The sunroom is now open to the house because the former entry to our home was removed. Jerry and I are experimenting with balancing the different heating systems in the two spaces. Even with no sun, the space is bright, warm, and open. I'm sure it won't seem as spacious when it's filled with my plants. But, for now, it's an echoing cavernous room. Just standing in it makes me smile :-)

My plans for my "benches" to lift plants up to the windows and for starting plants next winter are almost complete. I did some research and found this light stand on Harris Seeds' website (www.harrissseeds.com). I'm using it as a model for my bench design. As you can see the light fixtures here are adjustable rather than the shelf as I had originally planned. And in looking at fluorescent fixtures, I think making the fixture adjustable will be simple as they come with chains for hanging.

My benches will be wooden instead of aluminum like this one, and they will have only one fixture. The "shelf" on the bottom will actually be a frame into which I can drop 2 trays like those shown here. Only mine will position the trays end-to-end instead of side-to-side. The light fixture will be suspended from the bottom of a similar structure 20 inches above the bottom shelf. I will drop trays into that top structure and sit potted plants in them. I should be able to build one bench before I post again next week. I'll take a picture to share.

There's a good possibility that painting and staining will begin in the sunroom next week. So my space is almost done. I think in two, maybe three, weeks my large tropical plants can move into the new room.

They are suffering like me from the close quarters imposed by winter cold. In their current crowded condition watering them is difficult because I have to crawl on my hands and knees to reach the smaller pots. As a result a bout with scale has resulted in some serious pruning of one plant and the total destruction of another. I hate killing plants, but I haven't found a way to curb the infestation on a beautiful gardenia my husband gave me several years ago. It's huge, but it had to go before every plant around it became infected. If it survives in the garage, perhaps I can revive it next year outdoors where I'll be free to spray it with dreaded chemicals. But I would be surprised if it makes it until spring. Yuk.

I'll be glad when my space is done. Even if spring hasn't come, the sunroom will make those last days of winter easier to bear. I'm sending encouraging thoughts to my builder and I won't even mention my trampled bulbs. I'll just grit my teeth and put down mulch... and draw an occasional calming breath... and meditate a little. "Oohhmmm...ohm..."

No comments:

Post a Comment