Friday, February 28, 2014

Invisible progress and Knoblock's Prairie Ranch visit

Okay...enough about flowers (never)...

But, really, we are making progress every day on building our home at Happy Apple's Farm. The weather has been awful and there is yet another snowstorm on the way. And still yesterday we approved the final plan to make the order of the SIPS panels, roof trusses and floor joists eminent and today we saw and approved the layout of the PEX tubing for the radiant heating in the floor.

Once ordered, the panels could arrive in as little as 4 weeks. Given the weather, the builder may be hard-pressed to get the flat work done in time. We will keep our fingers crossed. Until now things have moved a little slower than planned. It would be a real shame to have to keep the panels waiting.

Meanwhile, Brent and I have made a visit to another alpaca farm: Knoblock's Prairie Ranch. That was a lot of fun and what a wonderful family and a wealth of experience and knowledge! This is Steve and Rose Ann Knoblock's 30th year raising alpacas.

We learned a bunch about keeping alpacas. Steve is in charge of the herd and showed us around the barn. Here are some photos:

Steve's free-standing feeder design
Feeders in pen and bales of orchard grass hay
Moms and cria wondering why we are in their barn


beautiful mothers in the sun
Steve's self watering bucket design- awesome!

I asked only for a little raw fleece and this is what I got - bags full!
Needless to say, we enjoyed our visit. I am so impressed by the enthusiasm and kindness of the alpaca people I've met so far. They seem to genuinely like the animals they care for - even after living with them for decades. But, really, what's not to like about these gentle creatures with the super-soft fiber?

Brent and I are off to buy wool combs tomorrow so I can start to play with the gift of raw fleece. This collection of fiber should keep me occupied for quite a while. Good thing, with the advance of the next winter storm poised to strike us tomorrow night.

I think I'm going to like spinning fiber to keep myself busy over my winters on the farm :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment