Monday, March 29, 2010

Talinum - my new plant find

Just a quick post about what looks to be a great plant. It's common name is "fame flower" and its species name is Talinum calycinum.

Take a look at Missouri Plants page for this plant. I'd never heard of it or seen it before I found it on the Critsite website's native plants list. Note that I've added Critsite to my favorite links. Critsite is just south of Kansas City in Belton. I hope to have time to check out their nursery this spring. They may be my most convenient resource in my search for plants to fill my new garden.

Funny that I didn't discover Talinum sooner. It was listed on the Missouri Wildflowers website which I've been browsing for months. It's probably because their plants list doesn't have photos, and I'm really a sucker for pretty pictures. If it's pretty, I'll click on it.

Anyway, Talinum calycinum is a little succulent plant that produces a deep rose flower atop a thin wisp of a stem. The flowers open late in the afternoon and from the photos I've seen it looks like a pretty pink cloud when a group is planted together. The plant appears to like rocky, dry places. Just the type of exposure that plants south and east of my yet-to-be-built pond will enjoy. I think some lucky plant will be adopted by me this summer.

One thing I discovered while browsing Critsite's list is that all the plants on the native plants list aren't exactly native. I started cross-referencing with the USDA Plants database to be sure if I was suspicious. If there was no reference to USFS MO Ecological Map on Critsite's page for the plant, that was a good indication to check USDA Plants for more information. In spite of that, I love browsing their list with all their great photos.

Happy frantic gardening between rain showers! It's a good thing I'm not afraid of mud :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment