Friday, April 2, 2010

Daffodils - my new garden has tons!

We've had a few days of warm sunny weather here. Overnight it seemed like the forsythia exploded. There is yellow everywhere. But even better are the daffodils. My yard is full of them and there are several varieties. These photos show the 4 different kinds I've seen so far.

These were the first to open.






















These opened next. And they are very fragrant.


















Then these are planted in front of the house and opened a few days after the others.





Yesterday these pretty ones opened. The petals are much whiter than the others. It rained today just before I photographed them. That made for a pretty picture. The flowers are smaller. The American Daffodil Society describes a division on their website called Poeticus. I think that's what these are. Or perhaps it's a small-cupped variety. Check it out and see what you think. The website was a great reference for someone like me who has no idea what's planted in my yard.








In addition to the daffodils and the forsythia I have grape hyacinth just beginning to bloom. The previous gardener was smart to plant them at the beginning of the walk that leads to the front door. You can see from the photo that there are many, many more blooms just waiting to open. What a perfect spot for them. This fall I'll move a few of the daffodils close to these to provide a little contrast in next spring's display.

Needless to say, I love this time of year. It's especially fun in the new garden I've come to own. Bob and Judy, who built this home, raised their family here, and stayed until they died, obviously loved the garden, too. I feel so fortunate, like they've given me a gift. Wouldn't it be great if somehow they know I'm grateful? These thankful thoughts are sure to add good vibes to the world, the cosmos, heaven, this garden. I hope Bob and Judy get them, too :-)

Happy spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment