Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mystery plant

This plant is growing around the edges of the patio outside of the area inhabited by the ferns. It's mostly shade, but gets morning sun. I noticed the plant last fall and thought it was Brunnera because these tall flower stems were gone. What was left looked like deeply veined heart-shaped leaves on a prostrate stem. I was waiting for the flowers this spring to confirm that identification. Now that I see the flowers, I think it's not Brunnera.

Here's a closeup of the flowers. These beautiful purple blooms are bright spots in the shady edges of the garden and I'm very fond of them. I'll keep on eye on the progression to seed. But barring anything totally ugly, I think it's a keeper - native or not :-)

4 comments:

  1. I have this plant on a rental property. Was trying and trying to find a picture; and, walla....you have it. I guess you have no name for it; but I'm sure it is cataloged somewhere. I am going to bring part of the plant to my house. Email me if you find out what it is. Phudas53017@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have this plant also, but a much richer color than these photos are showing. It's at a summer cottage, in a relatively wooded/shady area, and growing with some vinca so I wonder if a previous owner planted it as a border plant (i.e. not a wildflower).
    If you have identified it, can you also let me know? I can't find it either!
    pjreceipts@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hesperis matronalis
    I thought at first too many differences between Dame's Rocket, but it is basically the same after all.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dame's rocket: The flowers are white to purple with four petals and are clustered in loose terminal stalks. Flowers appear from May to August and the plant can produce seeds and flowers on any flower cluster at the same time. Leaves are slightly hairy, alternate, and 2 to 4 inches long. The leaves are lance shaped with toothed margins. Habitats for Dame’s rocket include: gardens, partly shaded woodlands, ditches, roadsides, pastures, rangelands, thickets, open woods, disturbed sites, and other areas that have moist well drained soils and full sun to light shade. Dame’s rocket is designated as a “List B” species in the Colorado Noxious Weed Act. It is required to be either eradicated, contained, or suppressed depending on the local infestations.

    ReplyDelete