Monday, October 13, 2014

Alpacas are coming

Over the weekend I visited our little herd of alpacas at their current home in Blue Springs, MO. They are in the process of getting their health certificates so they can move to Happy Apple's Farm next weekend. I am so excited!

The boys look good. But we accidentally walked them all through a patch of cockleburs and I'm afraid their fiber may be ruined for another season :-(. The cockleburs mean that we may not be able to have the fiber processed anywhere. I could process it by hand, though. In fact, their current owner has given me last year's fleeces for hand processing for the same reason - cockleburs.

I didn't get any photos of them while I was there because we were busy pulling out fencing and posts to set up their new enclosure at our farm. Because they are the last of the herd at their current home, the owner is giving me all the fencing, gates, buckets and equipment that he has. I'm very happy with the deal. These boys came with a lot of equipment and that has set us up pretty well. But moving it and installing it was a lot to accomplish over the weekend.

Here's how their new pasture looks at our farm:
New fence encloses between 1/3 to 1/2 acre. Brent is making it look even more handsome :-)

A tarp will provide temporary cover at the barn if they need it. Nothing would make this more handsome.
I was hoping to have a roof on the barn prior to moving the boys in. But building a barn almost on my own is WAY more time-consuming than I hoped - especially only working on it weekends and evenings. (Brent is helping too by staying focused on moving the house construction forward.)

Funny thing about alpacas is that they don't really need protection from the rain or cold. So the cover is only for shade. Thankfully, it isn't too hot right now so even the shade isn't essential. And they still have plenty of grass to eat so I don't need to store hay yet. Keeping their hay dry is the other purpose of the barn.

The boys will move in next Saturday or Sunday depending on the weather. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment