Friday, July 10, 2015

Neighbor goats - an update

Well, it turns out that I mis-identified the breeds of the neighbors goats. Katie and David are new to all of this stuff - just like me.

So, after looking at photos, Katie has determined that the black doe with the baby is a Nigerian dwarf. That little baby is pretty darn adorable and seems to love coming over to our pasture. I think it's small enough to fit through the fence. What's puzzling is that the momma made it through, too, the first time. We have no idea how that happened.

The other pregnant doe, rather than being a Nubian, is an Alpine - we think. And, rather than being giving birth in September as was expected, she bore a baby girl the week after she was purchased.
Newborn baby with her mom.
I am amazed at how functional these little babies are as soon as they're born. She stumbled around some that first day, but the next time I saw her she was jumping and running! I watch constantly out my window because the two babies play like puppies. This little brown one is much more energetic, though. I think everything she does starts with a hop into the air.

She moves pretty fast, so this was about all I could catch of her from my vantage point across the fence. It's a little blurry, but you might be able to see her jump over to her mom and then try to jump up the tree a couple of times - and she's only a week old!

Still love the new neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment