Monday, July 5, 2010

Purple coneflower frenzy

As little as a two weeks ago this was the overgrown island garden that I watch from my kitchen window. Please excuse the huge walnut tree seedlings that grow faster than I can find them and the purple loosestrife that no one should have in a Missouri garden. But notice the variation still visible at the edges where I've planted some herbs and tickseed coreopsis that I brought from my previous home. That same space is now nearly totally covered with layer upon layer of purple coneflower bloom. Here's a photo.

It is truly eye-catching. I've spent so much time in the front yard that this garden hasn't gotten much attention. Yesterday when some friends were over to celebrate the Fourth, I brought them back here to explain that I could share some purple coneflowers and, Wow!, was what they said. Standing back, like in this photo just doesn't do the beauty of this mass of flowers justice. You have to get close. Because when you do, you can see all the stuff that's happening.

The bees were everywhere. There were big bumblebees like this one and smaller bees. Are the smaller ones honey bees? I'm not sure. There were also many wasps, but not on the coneflowers. They seem to like the flowers on the oregano and yarrow that I transplanted from my old garden. The whole garden was buzzing with activity. It's very wonderful; more to see than you can take in with one look.
In addition to the bees and wasps, the garden is attracting some quieter and gentler bugs like this one. I haven't tried identifying a butterfly before. But doing a quick internet search I found a site called Discover Life that leads me to think this is a pipevine swallowtail (Battus philenor). Discover is a cool site with lots more than butterfly identification. Nice, nice, nice. I love summer :-)
I may have to rethink the amount of coneflowers I want to move - and when to move them. In spite of its overgrown and kind of weedy looks this backyard, ignored garden has become beautiful. I would hate to disrupt the work of these garden friends. I wonder if bringing coneflowers to the space in the front will also bring all of this lovely activity? I bet it will. There's something to look forward to.

Happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment