Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pond beginnings

Alright, now that my sunroom is finished and the builder finally graded the front yard, I can work :-)

Here's a picture from the outside of the sunroom. You can see my dog, Doogle, standing very near the large hole that will be my pond.

The pond will be kidney shaped and easy to see from several areas. Anyone walking to the front door, seated on the deck, or sitting in the sunroom will have a great view of the water.




Here's the hole my builder dug for me. It was a great help having him excavate the deepest part for me. My last pond was only 3' by 6' and digging that was enough to tell me that this wasn't a job I could do.
This is the view standing next to the sunroom windows. I had just finished digging the shelf for water plants. The area near the shovel will be the gravel bog filter.

In this photo you can see that I've added a cinder block foundation to support the wall that will partition the filter from the rest of the pond. After checking the outside edge with a level, I also placed a line of cinder blocks to support the liner beneath the moss rock that will edge the pond.

My next steps are to place a level line of concrete pavers around the edge of the pond and install the underlayment. The pavers will make a nice, even edge for the liner that is slightly raised to keep water and dirt from washing in. I'll use carpet pad to protect the liner from protruding roots and rocks. I think before I put the underlayment in I will do more trimming of roots. There are a lot of them and some are really big. Look at the one on the near side of the photo. It's like a tree branch.

I'll be out of town for a week, so not much will happen in the garden. I'm driving across country from Olympia, Washington. So, even though nothing will change much in the garden, I should have some great pictures to share from the trip.

3 comments:

  1. Your water garden is huge and will be fabulous. Let us know if we can share some frogs with you. My water garden sprung a leak last spring and would have required a complete do over. The shruds and trees around it had gotten so big since Chloe and I dug it that is was really no longer a good space for it. It's now a pretty little rock garden. When I saw Tom on the tractor adding the firt bucket full of dirt, I stood in the dining room and cried. It was a labor of love. We had so many years enjoying the goldfish and lillies. I'm hoping to put one in the backyard if I ever get around to redoing the patio. I'll look forward to seeing your pictures from your cross country adventure. Washington should be gorgious this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that you, Lucy? Thanks so much for reading my blog! It's great to hear from you. I got my pond liner and pump on Thursday. I got back from Washington yesterday afternoon. With all this rain, the pond was all muck and mud this weekend. Hoping to get the underlayment and liner in next weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating online magazine having tales in its self. About ponds I recognize one aspect that Pond Liner Repair Kit could make any pond repair and avert holes and add lifestyles to pond.


    ReplyDelete