Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I've been lost in the world of water gardening

Whew! That long weekend lasted too long. Placing 3 tons of rock and 1 1/2 tons of gravel in a pond is hard work. Not only that, but it leaves no time for writing about the progress on my pond.

I'll take a little time today to share how the project is progressing. No pictures to show yet since it isn't quite finished. Incredibly, I ran out of rock. So the top of the waterfall isn't covered and more flat rocks are needed to clean up the pond edge.

Three tons might sound like a lot, but there never seems to be the right rock for the spot. I just called today to have 2 more pallets delivered. That should more than finish things up.

Last time I wrote about the pond it had a liner and was being filled with water and now it is full and has a splashy waterfall :-) I wish I could share a recording. It reminds me of the relaxation tapes I used to have. Think small splashes in a babbling brook.

The plumbing and gravel bog filter are finished, too. The plumbing came together very well. The pipe that feeds the bog filter was easy, but putting together the fittings for the two ball valves to regulate the flow from the pump to the waterfall and bog was very tough. The flexible hose just didn't want to slide onto the barbs. But I got it done with lots of cursing and sweat - and it works, hence the splashy waterfall.

After covering the pipe in the bog with 1/2 ton of gravel, I purchased plants and another 3/4 tons of gravel. My guide to bog filter construction suggested placing the plants after filling the bog halfway with gravel. But I found it very difficult to shovel gravel in around the plants without damaging them. So I added gravel to about one inch below the water level and then placed the plants. The last inch of gravel I added by hand. So it's now a very good thing that I don't care how my fingernails look - because I have none.

I also jump-started my bog's biological filter by adding Microbe-lift to the water. It's some bacteria-mix stuff that my neighbor suggested. He has a very clean pond with huge, happy koi so I think he knows what makes a healthy pond. In addition, as a precaution, I added a water treatment to remove chlorine since I filled the pond with water from the house. It was probably okay since the water had been sitting for a week, but just in case.

The pond water was really murky due to sediment on the gravel and I was nervous about putting my 3-year-old. Laura at Brother's Pets where I purchase the Microbe-lift suggested I buy some feeder goldfish to test the water and start things off. Nine of the dozen I bought seem to have survived. The bodies of the other 3 haven't surfaced. They may still be there, too. The goldfish I am nervous about putting in the pond were also feeder fish (actually bait from the bait shop), but they are getting pretty big. It's a lot easier to dispose of a small fish body.

The water was pretty clear yesterday morning and I could see all the way to the bottom. Still didn't see the missing goldfish, but I think the filter is working.

Last night I finally took time to work at my desk in the sunroom and enjoy the new view of the waterfall. But I'll have to adjust to the restful sound. It's hard to stay focused on balancing the checkbook with that lovely distraction in my ears dragging my eyes from their task.

Ah, the troubles I endure :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment