Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pond progression photos

Just for fun, I want to show the progression of the pond from beginning to where I left off last weekend.

 Shelves have been dug all around the edge, including the large shelf that will house the gravel bog filter.

Foundation for the partition wall of the bog filter is in place and I've begun creating the level edge for the pond.

Edge of pond is level and I've begun to place underlayment (carpet pad in this case) in the bottom of the pond to protect the liner from all the tree roots.

I've finished placing the underlayment and I'm ready to place the 45 mil. rubber pond liner.

Here is the pond liner in place and it's been filling for about 1 1/2 hours, reaching the 12" deep shelf for the bog filter.

I shifted viewpoints here and we're now looking from the other end of the pond. And as you can see it's nearly full. At this point we estimated based on how long it took to fill the 5 gallon white bucket in this photo that the pond is holding around 1200 gallons.

There's a big gap here in the photos. I installed the pump and plumbing including valves to adjust flow to the waterfall and bog filter. I used 1 1/4" flexible hose to go from the pump to the "T" and then to the ball valves. From the valves flexible hose takes water to the 2" PVC pipe to feed the bog filter and to the waterfall. Then, I was very busy moving cinder blocks for the wall that partitions the bog from the rest of the pond and shoveling two pickup loads of gravel into the bog. I also purchased plants for the bog and planted them.

After all that, here's what I had. You can see that the water level has risen to nearly overflow the edge due to displacement from the gravel and cinderblocks. The water is also very cloudy from the gravel. You can't even see the gravel just under the water and the plants.

In this photo the waterfall has been "roughed-in." It's just cinderblocks, liner, and the rocks creating the "splashy" sound that I like so much. The water is clearing up a little, but it hasn't receeded or evaporated much.

There's another pretty significant gap here. I am moving literally tons of rocks to cover the edges of the pond and waterfall as well as to form a path around two sides of the pond.

And this is how the pond looked last time I posted. The waterfall is now covered with rocks, the edge of the pond is completely concealed, and the gravel path around two sides is in place. You can see the gravel in the bog filter now that the water has evaporated a little.

I still haven't spread the mulch, but another weekend will be here before I know it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment